Body Composition Scan/Bone Mineral Density Scan
Our low radiation dose DEXA scanner allows you to determine your exact ratio of muscle, fat and bone.
DEXA or Dual Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry is an advanced, medically-developed technology used to assess bone health and more recently, become the gold standard in body composition measurement.
This scan will give you a highly accurate baseline to assist you in making lifestyle changes to improve your health, and reduce your risk of disease.
Whatever your goal is;
- Bone density/osteoporosis;
- Lose weight;
- Increase muscle; or
- Improve your health overall.
A Dexa Body Comp scan is a valuable tool before starting any training program or eating plan that will assist your PT, dietician or exercise physiologist, to measure and tailor your health plan, to achieve your goals.
What your report will show you:
- Fat - the total weight of fat mass in the body.
- Body Fat%. The % of the total body weight that is fat.
*Individuals with a higher body fat percentage are at a greater risk of diseases such as Type II diabetes, heart disease, stroke and hypertension.
- Lean: muscle, tissue, water and all other fat free mass in the body
- Body Mass Index: BMI- height/weight ratio.
*Individuals with a larger proportion of muscle mass to fat should use body fat% as a guide instead of BMI.
- Bone Mineral Density.
- Basil Metabolic Rate: BMR including daily calorie intake required to maintain current weight.
- RSMI: Relative Skeletal Muscle Index, showing the relative amount of muscle in the arms and legs
- Graphs to compare your results to an Australian reference population.
- DEXA scans are quick and painless. All you have to do is lie still on the padded bed, while a moving arm makes a series of passes over your body. The scan is done in approximately 5 minutes. No preparation is required.
- A detailed report is generated immediately, showing your precise body composition for your health professional to plan your treatment.